Thursday, January 23, 2014

Hi Everyone!!!

Sister Stacy & Sister Weaver, a sweet sister from my district
Our zone being mean to the new missionaries.  
It was so cute seeing them say goodbye though.  
One elder gave his mom a bouquet of flowers.
A Sister in our district's, birthday
Thought you might like what Sister Wilson loves to write her 
spiritual notes in.  She is the sweetest! She felt bad I 
hand't gotten any mail yet, so she sent me my first letter.
Sister Weaver with a moment with her name tag
Temple Trip with our district


January 23, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Dear Family & Friends,



The first nugget of advice I heard when I arrived at the MTC: "Don't drink the orange juice!" hahaha well I have yet to find out what's up with that but the good news is: I finally got a letter!!!!!! Not that I didn't think I would but people around me are getting packages left and right and the only mail I got within the last five days was an invitation to take a mental health questionnaire :) P-Day has to be the Christmas of MTC life, but I wouldn't trade my experiences here for a million packages. A kiwi elder got his first letter from his family in 2 weeks and ran up and down the corridors exclaiming his excitement!! I felt so bad for him but the smile on his face was well worth the wait I suppose. ANYWAY to make a long story just a little bit shorter, my first day here I felt like a deer in the headlights but every missionary and I mean EVERY missionary greeted me with a happy smile. I then realized it was because I had an orange dot on my nametag, something that my roomies and I referred to as a "dork dot" after we had locked ourselves out of our rooms, had to get a spare key, and then got lost on our way to orientation. I guess it was a way to separate us from others so they wouldn't judge us as badly haha. The very FIRST day we had an orientation where we questioned, as a group, investigators who are actually employed by the MTC...no pressure. But what an enlightening experience it was! You'd be happy to hear that I haven't really cried, except for during Sunday devotional when Sheri Dew spoke to us and we were privileged to watch a clip from a movie where Jesus came to administer to those in the America's.

My zone only has four elders and they are headed to Mississippi. My teachers are beyond incredible. (I'll send you a picture later) They are all employed from BYU and they each teach how to teach the gospel in so many different but effective ways. Brother Moseley is the one who tries to pump us up about teaching, while Brother Barton (who whenever he speaks has the Spirit so strong it makes your heart melt) provides the Spiritual band-aid.

Sister Weaver & Wilson teaching "Jacob"
Especially during the times when I and my companion Sister Wilson teach "Jacob" (who is really Brother Moseley as a character he actually met on his mission) who doesn't know where he is going in life or much about God. The first time we taught him, I had a near panic attack but luckily Sister Wilson always has something to say. I was able to bear my testimony of the importance of prayer, but he was so darn stubborn he wouldn't say they prayer when we asked him! I tried to convince myself that it was only my first time teaching, but I think the fact that I knew who it was psyched me out a little bit...I said a prayer to my Heavenly Father to be able to keep my nerves in check and be able to be led by the Spirit. I have learned that I am instructed by the Lord to not teach lessons, but PEOPLE. Everyone has their own needs, which is probably why it was so hard teaching you guys at home the lessons.

It is very interesting: it is one thing to feel the Spirit when listening to words taught to you, but when you TEACH by that same Spirit, it becomes magnified 100x over. I learned that the day after our first discussion with "Jacob." Sister Wilson and I set the goal that we were going to commit him to GET ON HIS KNEES & PRAY! I asked Brother Barton for some help beforehand (we didn't have to go first this time, phew!) and I felt the impression to tell him that I think that we should first try and understand how Jacob could BUILD his relationship with God through prayer. So, being led by the Spirit, and with the unity and wonderful companionship of Sister Wilson, we committed him to pray and do you know what...HE DID!!!!!!!! I felt like crying! We gave each other a huge hug afterward and shared with the others in our zones our experience! I am grateful for the opportunity I did have to crash and burn...it made the Spiritual triumph all the more special.


Sister Weaver & Sister Wilson
Sister Weaver is pointing in the ocean
AHH! I'm running out of time. Short version: I was able to sing in the choir under the direction of Brother Eckitt a new rendition of "Precious Savior, Dear Redeemer," heard the life-changing words of Elder Bednar in "The Character of Christ" Christmas Devotional, saw Ashley Alvarez, and got to welcome some of the new Elders and Sisters yesterday as they plowed into their first day at the MTC! Today we get to go to the temple and I am so excited to see the new NEW video that came out last week.

Hugs and kisses,
Sister Weaver


(I will be flying in to Denver on Tuesday at 7:45 a.m. and call in between then and when my Wisconsin flight leaves at 9 something. So PLEASE keep the line open I want to talk to you and hear all your news!!!!!)

Tell Allison I will talk to her about her hysterically providential experience then :) I will be sending pics soon! Also, PLEASE send this to Austin, I don't have time to copy and paste it into another email. LOVE YOU ALL! The Church is true!!!!


Sister Weaver & Sister Alvarez

No comments:

Post a Comment